My Address

Sister Breanna Hawkey
Italy Rome Mission
Piazza Carnaro 20
00141 Rome Italy

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

February 4, 2009

Ciao!
I'm still in La Spezia, and I'm SO happy about it! I seriously love this branch so much and all the people we're working with. Sorella Margheriti is like my mom away from home. She's amazing! My new companion is also amazing! She's an incredible missionary. Her name is Sorella Mura. She's from Cagliari, on the island of Sardegna. She joined the Church 3 years ago when she was going to college in Bologna. Her parents aren't members. She's the only child in her family, so they weren't too happy about her going on a mission, but they're coming around and are now somewhat supportive. She's amazing! She speaks only a little bit of english, so our communication is interesting sometimes. I'm getting really good at charades! Actually, I've noticed a huge improvement in my Italian in the past 5 days with her. It's a huge help! I'm really grateful for this opportunity to work with her.
Our investigators are doing well. Elisabeth is progressing well and is happy to commit to anything we ask her to do. She's going back to Brazil next week for a month, and asked how she can find a Church there so she can go while she's gone. I didn't even have to bring it up! She's awesome. She had a huge crush on one of the elders, so I was a little worried that he was the reason she was coming to church, but he got transfered last week and she still came, so I'm really excited about her!
Yesterday morning, Jennifer called us!!!! She's the one that took the lessons 2 years ago but didn't feel ready for baptism, then called us to meet with us again 2 months ago, but then we never heard from her again. She's been having a lot of things going on in her life, but she wants to come to church again. We had a great appointment with her yesterday! She's amazing!
Tonight I'm going down to Rome for a few days for 3 month conference. I'm excited to see all the missionaries from my MTC district! And to spend a couple days at the mission home with the Acersons. Later this month, we're having a mission wide conference. Elder Dallin H. Oaks and Elder Robert C. Oaks are coming to tour the mission and talk to us. I'm excited!
This week I've been thinking a lot about miracles. I love the story in Matthew 14 (I think) where Peter walks on water. He did something that no one, besides Jesus Christ, had done before. It was a miracle! But then he noticed the waves around him, and that's when he sunk. The waves are the realities around us. It was reality that people can't walk on water. It was reality that there were huge waves crashing around him. He had good evidence to back up his doubts. We have a lot of these realities all around us. For me, it is a reality that it is difficult to learn a new language. It is reality that there aren't a lot of baptisms in Italy. But instead of looking at the realities around us, we need to focus on our Savior Jesus Christ, and the fact that with Him, we can overcome these realities and witness true miracles. I see miracles every day. I know I say this almost every week, but I am truly grateful to be here, to be an instrument in the hands of my Heavenly Father to bring the Gospel with His children. I love my mission so much!
Vi voglio bene!
Sorella Hawkey

No comments: