My Address

Sister Breanna Hawkey
Italy Rome Mission
Piazza Carnaro 20
00141 Rome Italy

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

April 22, 2009

Hi!
This has been such a great week! We have met with Dielle already four times, and she came to church on Sunday!!!! She is absolutely incredible! She calls us her "stelline," which means "little stars." She's so cute! She is really starting to see the importance of the Gospel and the peace and healing she can find through the Atonement. I'm SO excited for Dielle! It's amazing the things she's been through, and how strong and full of faith she is.
Saturday morning, there was an activity at the school of some kids in our branch, and it was American Day. Every now and then they have activities where they learn about other cultures. So Sister Furia (the mom of the kids) invited us to come. It was kinda fun to hear American stories and eat American food! We also met tons of people, and even gave away a few copies of the Book of Mormon!
Saturday afternoon we went to a baptism. A guy in Pistoia got baptized, but the baptismal font is here in Prato, so we got to go. I love baptisms! During the baptismal service, he bore his testimony, and it was so strong and so pure. He's from Nigeria, and he talked about how even though he's far away from his family, he's found a family in the church. I feel the same way. There are so many wonderful members here who have invited us into their family while we're serving our missions. I love the members here so much!
Sunday evening we met a man from Albania who wants to take the lessons. He met Sister Millis a few months ago, and she gave him a Book of Mormon, but they hadn't made contact again until Sunday. He said that since then, he rented the movie The Other Side of Heaven, and really wants to learn what we believe in. He said that he's always wanted to get baptized, but has never found the true church, so he never did. He's amazing! We have an appointment with him later on in the week, and we're really excited!
This week during my studies I've been reading a lot about our hearts. The scriptures talk a lot about the condition of our hearts, and as I've thought about it, I've realized that the desires of our hearts truly influence our actions. I love the scripture in Alma that talks about the Spirit bring a mighty change of heart. And I heard a quote in the MTC by a world champion pole vaulter. When he was asked how he jumped so high, he said, "I just throw my heart over and the rest of me follows." I've been trying to purify my heart, and make the desires of my heart align with the will of my Heavenly Father. I am so grateful for the Atoning Sacrifice of Jesus Christ, and that through his grace, our hearts can be sanctified and purified and we can be more fit to live with Him again someday.
Vi voglio tantissimo bene! Buona settimana!
Sorella Hawkey

No comments: