My Address

Sister Breanna Hawkey
Italy Rome Mission
Piazza Carnaro 20
00141 Rome Italy

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Letter--September 23, 2008

This week has been wonderful! I seriously wish I had more time to tell you all my wonderful experiences, but I'll have tons of stories for you once I get back! That is, if I can remember english. It's already fading. Last week's devotional was Elder and Sister Hinckley, President Hinckley's son. It was amazing! He gave us 9 Be's for missionary work and told some stories about his dad. It's so wonderful to learn from the general authorities!Our teachers told us that a few years ago, they invited some people from the FBI and CIA who were learning languages to participate in the MTC language training with the missionaries. The people from the FBI and CIA only lasted a few weeks, and then gave up. They said that this language training program was too intense and they didn't have the motivation that the missionaries do. I have a lot of motivation to work 16 hours a day, with no breaks, because I'm not doing this for me. I'm doing it for the Lord. And He does His part, too. The gift of tongues is amazing!One of our teachers was talking about why we all are on missions. He asked each of us why we were here, and then said that there is another reason we're here that none of us mentioned. He said that what if, in the pre-existance, Heavenly Father pulled me aside and said that He was going to send me to a family that had the Gospel. But my best friends in the pre-existance wouldn't have that blessing, and they'd be send to Rome. In return for all of the blessings I would be given on earth, I promised Heavenly Father that I would go on a mission to Rome to find my friends. These truly are my best friends that I'm preparing to serve, we just don't know each other on this earth yet! I'm so excited to find them and reunite our friendship!This weekend we had Zone Conference, and a few of the teachers from our zone gave talks. Fratello McDonald (my teacher) gave a great talk about missions being hard. It's ok that it's hard- it's supposed to be hard so that it stretches me and helps me realize my dependance on my Savior. It's because it's hard that I can expect miracles! I've come to learn so much about miracles. I've learned that when I make promises to investigators, as long as I do so with the Spirit, the Lord will honor those promises. It's kind of scary, but I'm working on being more bold and having the faith that the Lord will do His part. Sorella Jones, a teacher in the other district, talked about how this is an individual gospel. Instead of planning lessons, plan how to meet the needs of the individual that we are teaching. She talked about when Christ leaves His 99 sheep to find the one. I am leaving my 99 (my home, friends, family, hobbies) to find the one that I promised my Heavenly Father I would find.On Sunday 12 of us from our Zone did a musical number- an arrangement of I Stand All Amazed that a sister in our zone arranged. It was incredible! She has such a great talent! We sang (and I played) at the fireside, in front of about 3000 people! (By the way, they record the musicals, and when I leave the MTC they'll send you a DVD of all the musicals I've done while I'm here) Afterwards, so many people came and asked us if the song was published and if they could buy a copy. I've been getting compliments ever since on the musical number. Sister Boone (the MTC President's wife) came up to us afterwards and said that the angels of heaven were singing with us. It's such a beautiful song and such a beautiful message- Jesus Christ died for me, and for each one of you. He suffered and paid the price for me! He loves me! I've gained such a greater understanding of my Savior and a greater appreciation for Him.I love you all so much! I'm so grateful for the support you give me. Sono grate per mio Salvatore e la Sua Espiazione. Io so che Padre Celeste risponde alle nostre preghiere. Io so che il Libro di Mormon e la parola di Dio.Vi voglio bene!Sorella Hawkey

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Breanna, I don't know if you remember me but we were in your ward a few years ago. Oh you might remember Rob( my husband, your dentist.) I got your blog from Collette Savage. I love reading it. It reminds me about my own mission and also reminds me why it is so important to share the truth with my friends and neighbors. The work you do now will bless you for the rest of your life. So thank you!!! We are praying for you in the Matthews family!

Bethany said...

I just read the next message and now know Breanna can't read the comments, so this is for her Mom!! Love you guys!